Wednesday, September 28, 2022

My 2022 Global Adventure: Day 22 - Afternoon/Evening (Volcanoes! Rainbows! Ducks!)

 After leaving LEGOLAND, we began walking toward the LEGO House. Even though I'd saved the directions to my phone, I missed the street we were supposed to turn on and we ended up walking a lot farther than we otherwise would have. But we eventually made it....

We had purchased our tickets about three months prior. Adult tickets cost between 179 and 249 Kroner ($23-$32) depending on what day of the week you go, what time you book, etc.

In the lobby we were greeted by this large LEGO cake that occasionally spun...


Using kiosks, we were able to scan the QR codes from our tickets and receive a bracelet that served as both an entry ticket and a digital archive of our adventures throughout the day.

I headed straight for the lowest floor, where the history exhibits live.









There were displays of sets from many different eras. I first started building Duplo around 1985 and LEGO proper a few years later.




In the center of one of the rooms were kiosks where you could digitally select just about any set from LEGO has ever made and assemble a "shelf" of your favorites.


I added some sets from my childhood, plus several of the sets I got just as I was coming out of my dark ages...


Next I headed upstairs.




The whole LEGO House was really crowded at that moment, but the crowds did thin out as evening approached. At this point, though, it was a little hard to get around and enjoy everything.




I tried to step out onto as many terraces as I could find. (If you've never seen what the LEGO House looks like from above, click here.)






I got to spend 15 minutes at a station making a stop-motion movie. I love that kind of thing! When I was finished, the film was saved digitally and linked to my bracelet so I could watch it later.


But I also took a little video:




Around this time H. texted me to say that she was at the LEGO shop next to the lobby, and had seen a sign that said the Minifig Factory stopped running prior to the closing of the LEGO House, so I headed down there to make sure I got my figs made. 

The place was PACKED.


^Okay, not quite that bad... but close. 

Ever since the pandemic started, I've gotten used to LEGO Stores only letting a certain number of people in at a time, so... yeah, it was a bit overwhelming.


I bought the LEGO House set and the LEGO Duck set, whose box had just (I mean literally just) been signed by one of the designers.


I also got a few figs from the Minifig Factory. This was the 4th factory we'd encountered in the past 3 weeks!

[minifig photo coming soon]





There were a bunch of different interactive things at the LEGO House, but I didn't have time to check out all of them.

This looked cool, but maybe next time...?


And so did this...


As evening drew near, the lights in this room dimmed and the models became lit...



I did do this interactive build-a-fish thing.

First you build a fish with bricks. Then you use this kiosk to take a photo...


Then your fish appears and swims around on this large screen that looks like a giant fish tank...


You can also add your physical LEGO fish to the wall of fame...


In this area, people were building with only yellow bricks...


There was a mosaic-making room. I texted H. and we met up here to make some mosaics.



I made a 90 Years birthday sundae.


Is it just me or does it kind of look like...?

  

Ah well.


These are so good!





It was nearly closing time, so H. and I went around taking some photos with our sig figs...



Finally, just as the House was closing, we headed out. But first we used a kiosk to get our special & unique 6-brick combo. This was mine:


They print off a wallet card with your combo, and you also get to take a bag of 6 red bricks home. It's a nice little souvenir.

Outside, we checked out a couple of the public terraces...





It was a great day.


No comments: