Sunday, September 4, 2022

My 2022 Global Adventure: Day 13 (Bruges! Boats! Belgian Waffles!)

 Today we took a train to Bruges. It's a 22-40 minute journey from Ghent (where we were staying), depending on which train you take. 

One serendipitous thing happened while we were planning our trip -- I discovered that there's a flea market that happens in Bruges three times a year, and that it would happen on the weekend we were planning to be there (Sunday, specifically.)

So of course we had to go to that.





Photo by H.

We each bought a few small things. Then we set out to explore the city...




I knew I wanted to take a boat tour here in Bruges. I'd read that there are 5 different companies that run tours, but they all take the same route and charge the same price. You can get on at any of them and still get a tour. I don't know if one is better than another, but I will say that the dock we happened to approach had virtually no line. As our boat zipped past some of the other docks, we saw dozens of people sitting in the sun, waiting for a boat. 

This website tells you where the 5 docks are located as well as other practical information. Our tickets were 12 each and we both thought it was well worth it! Bring an extra € or two to tip your tour guide if you feel compelled afterward.



Our tour guide was great. He spoke multiple languages and did his speech in at least four of them.




For lunch we ate at a restaurant with outdoor seating, and split this big waffle...


...and this delicious cheese pizza.


They may look pretty basic, but they were actually two of the greatest things I ate on the entire trip!

We walked around town some more...






















I loved the architecture in Bruges, and I was surprised how both alike and different it was compared to Ghent. Both cities have a lot of old architecture... bricks, stones, climbing ivy, cobblestones, etc. If there was one difference I could pinpoint it would be that Ghent was a little more neutral-toned and Bruges seemed to have more pops of vibrant color.

Both cities were fantastic and I would hate to have to choose. Visit both, I say!



We stopped in at least one chocolate shop that afternoon and got some goodies. We also got a taste for Cuberdons, which are like giant jelly beans -- but with slightly gooier insides.


We spent about 5 hours total in Bruges, then headed back to Ghent.



Back in Ghent, there was still one more place I wanted to check out...


It's a long, curving alleyway with colorful street art that's ever-changing. 








Tomorrow, we head to Amsterdam!

No comments: