Thursday, September 1, 2022

My 2022 Global Adventure: Day 10 (Ridiculous Excess! Overwhelming Opulence! Annnnd Cats!)

Yesterday we attempted to visit the Paris LEGO Store, but it was too near to closing time and they wouldn't let us in.

So the next morning, we went back!


There were some cool models at this store, as well as two fun finds: A Parisian Guy keychain light and a Parisian Guy luggage tag. I bought one of the latter:


Next we got lunch at a Panda Waffle place.


Okay, maybe not lunch, but... oh never mind.

Then we hopped on the Metro and headed to Versailles. 


There are multiple ticket options for Versailles, but we booked the "Passport" option (€21.50.) This gave us access to the palace and the gardens. It was a weekday, so the fountains weren't running, but as we'd heard the place gets even more crowded on those days, that was just fine.


We had tickets for 2pm, and the tickets said they allowed entry between 2pm and 2:30pm. So when we were STILL on the Metro at 2:04pm, I began to get a little nervous. Our train finally got to the station about 2:10, and then we power walked to the entrance, about 1km away. By then it was about 2:32, but an only-slightly-eye-rolly guard took pity on us and let us in.


Versailles was as gorgeous in person as I had hoped. 


Every room was dazzling in its own way.

I had downloaded the Rick Steves Versailles audio tour and listened to it as I roamed. It kept me in some rooms longer than I would've otherwise stayed, but I appreciated that it gave me context for what I was seeing. Like, Ohhh... this isn't just a pretty bedroom -- this was where Louis XIV pretended to sleep!


The crowds were a bit overwhelming inside the palace. I know that's to be expected in a major tourist destination, but I was a bit surprised because I had thought timed tickets might thin things out a bit. Alas.


But hey, there was no one in this room...


Well, that's because they don't let you in that room. You can take pictures from the doorway, though!

Another surefire way to get people out of your shot is to aim for the ceiling...


Well, I almost succeeded.

They really are very nice ceilings.




After a stop at the palace cafe to get some goodies, we headed out to see the gardens...



It was much less crowded outside.




Since it was a warm day, we welcomed the cool shade when we could find it.


We visited a gift shop and got a treat at an outdoor stand.

We saw a cat...


We walked all over the grounds, trying to follow the map we'd gotten, but we kept getting lost/twisted around.


We saw another cat...


Eventually we made our way out of the grounds and headed along the town roads back to the Metro station.

Saw some cool stuff on the way...



And, back near our hotel...


It was so warm and muggy today, but -- surprise -- we actually got a little rain! Seriously, I think I felt three entire drops.

H.'s pedometer said we walked 22,000+ steps today. Yikes!

Things I began to learn today:

*When trying to get somewhere by a certain time, allow even MORE extra time than previously thought needed. Especially when being late means you have to explain yourself in French.

Things I didn't get to in Paris and will hope to do next time:

*The Louvre
*Pere Lachaise Cemetery
*Arc de Triomphe
*La Villette (park)
*Jardin des Plantes (and the zoo)
*Pantheon
*Sainte-Chapelle
*Chateau de Fontainbleau
*Musee d'Orsay


No comments: