Tuesday, August 13, 2024

My 2024 European Escapade - Part 5: Aberdeen, Day 3 & Traveling To London

I'm blogging about my 2024 travels to Scotland, England, and beyond! Join me if you dare...

Previously: 

Part 1: GlasgowPart 2: EdinburghPart 3: Aberdeen, Day 1 and Part 4: Aberdeen, Day 2  


 June 24th

I had spent the last two days on tours to places else, and I wanted to spend at least one day exploring the city of Aberdeen itself. Monday happened to be that day. 

I had breakfast around 8:30, but didn't leave the B&B till around noon. This place where I was staying -- the Arkaig Guest House -- is run by a very nice woman, and she set out breakfast every morning. She would also make you hot foods if you asked for them. This was the only place I stayed on my trip that offered "free" breakfast, and it was a nice diversion.

I started out by walking toward Old Aberdeen, a very cool area with lots of old buildings, tiny cobbled streets, and stone walls. I wish I'd taken more photos here!


My first stop was St. Machar's Cathedral. (Yes, I also checked out the adjacent graveyard.)








George Paton? No relation.




I climbed the steps to this balcony ^


A lot of the churches I visited on my trip had electronic donation stations -- just tap your card! I guess I'd rather do that than drop my loose change in a giant box. (Have you ever done it? The sound -- the everlasting echoes! -- I shudder.)




Next I walked through Seaton Park. I wanted to check out the playground, but it was jam packed. 


It looks really fun, though!


From there I made my way northeast to Donmouth Local Nature Reserve / Donmouth Beach. I walked out on the sand to the water's edge, threw some rocks into the water with a little kid (he invited me to in the most adorable Scottish accent), and then went to find some solid ground on which to continue my walk.


Puppy!










It was a warm day for Scotland (77°F), and several dozen people were out in the ocean, either swimming or on boogie boards. The water itself was 53°, so I question their judgement a little. 

I didn't bring my pedometer on this trip, but today would have had an epic step count...


From Aberdeen Beach, I took three buses back to my inn (I got a little bit lost -- wait, I mean, I got to see lots of Aberdeen! Yeees.)

As I was waiting for one of my buses, this little guy landed beside me and proceeded to stare at me for several minutes. My bus came, I took a seat, looked out the bus window... and he was still watching me. 


This was the view from the window of my B&B...


I had a very nutritious dinner...


Then I packed up to get ready to head to London the next day!


 June 25th

I had a long train ride to look forward to today -- about 7 hours from Aberdeen to London.


I was in a window seat. Throughout the journey I had two seatmates at different times, and the seat was also empty sometimes too.

It's not easy taking photos through the window of a moving train (not to mention the fact that you're traveling so fast, you never know when you're going to see something cool, and by the time you get your camera out, the cool thing is long gone), but I do try...



It turns out listening to an audiobook of The Fellowship of the Ring while taking this particular route is the key to achieving absolute bliss.








In the late afternoon, the train pulled into King's Cross station. I walked to my lodgings, the nearby Howard Winchester Hotel. After checking in, I found myself in the tiniest room ever...


The bathroom was miniscule, too -- you had to step into the shower to access the sink!

My room faced the front of the building, which was across the street from a park. People were playing basketball until dark, so there was a lot of noise. The hotel was also one of those where you have to leave your key at the front desk when you leave the premises. I've only ever had to do that at one other hotel in all my travels.

All this to say that while the price was right and the proximity to the train station was highly convenient... I would not stay at this hotel again.

That evening, I went out to find a grocery store and get some dinner. I also visited the British Library.


I had briefly visited the library on my last trip, but this time I had a more leisurely visit.


I checked out the exhibit of important documents. A sign said there was a Jane Austen manuscript here, but I couldn't find it.

Then it was back to my tiny hotel room for some relaxation and rest...


Tomorrow: I visit the filming location of one of my favorite TV shows!


No comments: