Monday, August 12, 2024

My 2024 European Escapade - Part 3: Aberdeen, Day 1

Join me as I reminisce about my 2024 travels to Scotland, England, and beyond!

Previously: 

Part 1: Glasgow

Part 2: Edinburgh

June 22nd - Aberdeen, Day 1

I had made it to Aberdeen! One of the reasons I chose to visit this city (as opposed to any of the many amazing places in Scotland that I saw during my research -- those are for "someday," I hope) was because it seemed to be a good central location for naturey sightseeing. A company called Rabbie's Tours offers several options for day trips in the area, and two particularly interesting tours happened to coincide with the days I was able to be there.

There are many ways to get around in Scotland (trains, buses, ferries) but if you want to get to certain places, you pretty much have to hike, bike, or drive. The majority of rental cars in Scotland, I learned, have manual transmission. Okay, one hurdle. Oh yeah, and people drive on the left over there. Two hurdles? I decided I'd better let someone else do the driving.

On Saturday morning, I had a quick breakfast at my B&B and then headed toward the train station, where my tour was to meet. This involved taking one bus and then doing a little walking...


Today's tour was called the North East Coastal Tour, taking us up -- you guessed it -- the Scottish Northeast coast. The tour van had 15 seats, but today there were only 10 of us -- 9 passengers and the tour guide/driver.

Here is the intended route (clockwise) as explained on the Rabbie's website:

Off we went!

Hello, blurry sheep!

Our first stop was the Spey Bay Wildlife Reserve...

First I climbed a little hill to get a better view of the ocean (North Sea). The shore had an abundance of fist-sized rocks, which were a little tricky to walk on. I didn't remain here long.

I then walked over to an inlet, where I could see a ton of birds hanging out. Yes, these tiny dots are, in fact, birds....



I checked out these interesting mosaics...

I also popped into the Visitor's Center to use the restroom. In the Center, there was food available as well as some souvenirs, but I didn't buy anything.

After about half an hour, we were due back in the van. I took my seat. Another person in the van pointed to the ocean -- dolphins were jumping! That was neat.

It was time to go. Our tour guide got into the van and told us he had bad news. He was feeling ill all of a sudden. Like, ill enough that he might not be able to continue the tour. He was in contact with the tour company, seeing if they might send a replacement driver. For now, we would continue to the next stop, Bow Fiddle Rock, which wasn't far away.

Views from my window...

Bow Fiddle Rock and its surrounding area were gorgeous. The cliff-like viewing area boasted views of thousands of seabirds. Wikipedia says the place is home to herring gulls, great black-backed gulls, and lesser black-backed gulls.



However, all of those birds listed above have white feathers on their heads, so what are these black ones??

The internet says they might be guillemots or razorbills. If you are an afficionado of our seaflying feathered friends, leave a comment and tell me what bird you think that is.



All too soon, our time here was up. We got back in the van, and our driver told us that, unfortunately, he was feeling worse, now. He was going to take us to the nearby town of Cullen, where we could get lunch, while he remained in contact with the tour company, trying to work something out.

In Cullen, I visited a few antique shops, then made my way down to the shoreside. I saw a seawall, people fishing, and I even met a friendly cat! 









About 1:30 I got a text that we had a new van and driver (from a different tour company), who had arrived to take us back to Aberdeen... alas, straight back.

 Sadly, we missed out on seeing Bullers of Buchan (where I might have gotten to see puffins) and Slains Castle.

Route We Ended Up Taking:


Seeing puffins is still on my bucket list, but I had seen a lot of cool birds that day nonetheless, so I wasn't totally disappointed by the turn of events. (Due to the circumstances, the tour company offered a refund or a voucher for another tour of the same value.)

The ride back felt eerily quiet, as our new driver didn't really speak to us at all, and the passengers were pretty quiet too.

Back in Aberdeen, I hopped on a bus that took me partway to my B&B, then I walked the rest of the way. Of course I found a ye olde cemetery along the way....



First Impressions & Thoughts:

*Crumpets are a lot like English muffins, but Scottish Crumpets are like heavy pancakes. Both taste good with jam tarts.

*I never knew Scotland had so many sheep! It's not really something they advertise.


Tomorrow, another Rabbie's Tour... will it go as planned?


No comments: