Monday, August 12, 2024

My 2024 European Escapade - Part 4: Aberdeen, Day 2

Follow along as I reminisce about my 2024 travels to Scotland, England, and beyond!

Previously: 

Part 1: Glasgow

Part 2: Edinburgh

Part 3: Aberdeen, Day 1


 June 23rd - Aberdeen, Day 2

Sunday was bright and sunny, a kind of day Scottish folks seemed surprised to see. Today's tour, also through Rabbie's, was called Dunnotar Castle & Royal Deeside. This itinerary includes Dunnottar Castle, the Falls of Feugh, Braemar, Caringorms National Park, and Muir of Dinnet.

This is the route:

I personally didn't make it to all of those places, but that was entirely of my own doing. You'll see why soon enough.

The tour commenced at 9:15, and we had a full load of passengers -- 14 of us, plus the driver/guide. There was also a second full van of people going to the same places as us, but we didn't really stick with them.

Our first stop was Dunnottar Castle. For about £11 you can enter the castle grounds, or you can just gaze upon it from a nearby hill for free. I paid to go in, and I thought it was worth it. Even though the castle is in ruins, it's in a gorgeous location, and the ruins are fun to photograph. 

The castle ruins are NOT accessibility-friendly, with many a stair to get to the castle and back. I was glad I'd packed 2 bottles of water, because those steps were exhausting!



















There are restrooms (I believe they required steps) near the parking lot, and on the day I was there they had a food cart open with coffee and a few other things. If you end up visiting here -- especially if it happens to be one of those rare warm days -- bring your own water, and be sure to wear walking shoes!

After spending about an hour at Dunnottar, we got back in the van and headed toward the Falls of Feugh. The driver took us on a short (possibly accidental) detour through a seaside town, first, though...


The Falls of Feugh was a peaceful, pretty little spot...


A wooden bridge provided an adequate viewing area.



...And onward!


At some point the driver mentioned to us that we'd be passing by Balmoral Castle, and that if anyone wanted to, they could be dropped off there and picked up later (thereby skipping the other sights). As much as my brain dislikes deviating from "plans," in this case (and probably because the driver gave us ample time to consider it), I went for it, and I'm glad I did! When first planning this trip I'd looked into going to Balmoral (vacation home/favorite spot of Queen Victoria), but the logistics of getting there made it too difficult.

The driver ended up dropping off me and 2-3 others at the entrance to the castle grounds. Balmoral's entrance fee was £17 plus an optional £5 extra for an audio guide. I chose to get that, and I was glad I did because it turns out there aren't very many signs around the place. We were also given a paper map, which was moderately helpful (again, lack of signs/landmarks makes things a little confusing).


Going inside the castle is possible, but you have to get reservations/tickets well in advance. As I'm writing this blog (mid-August), the castle and grounds are currently closed to the public, as (it is assumed) Charles and his family are in residence. Apparently, while this was Victoria's and also Elizabeth's favorite vacation home, it is only Charles's second-favorite. So now you know.



There just happened to be a vintage car show going on the day I was there...


Yardful of dogs! I'm guessing this was a doggie daycare for people/workers living on the castle grounds. The pups were all friendly and took turns coming to the fence for pets.





Balmoral's gardens are beautiful and vast...









This was one of the views from the castle itself. A fair prospect, wouldn't you say?




Even after checking out the castle and gardens (and getting some drinks and snacks at one of the food stands) I still had lots of time before my tour van was to return, so I followed a walking trail around the outer reaches of the estate.







As closing time drew near, I made my way back to the entrance/parking lot, and my tour van showed up about 15 minutes later. As I climbed aboard, some of the others asked how I'd liked Balmoral, and after answering, I asked how they'd liked their part of the tour. I got from them that they'd gone to a lovely town and had lunch.

Our next stop was the nearby Royal Lochnagar Distillery. There was a gift shop selling lots of a certain type of beverage, and the surrounding sights were lovely...



Then it was back on the road and back to Aberdeen.




Tomorrow, no tours... just exploring Aberdeen itself!


No comments: