Monday, August 22, 2022

My 2022 Global Adventure: Day 6 (Shininess! Tunnels! Barbie!)

 Day 6

Today I headed to Paris. The earliest train I'd been able to get to get via my Eurail pass was for 3pm, so between checking out of my hotel and getting in line for the train (they recommended you get there an hour and 15 minutes early) I needed something to do. I decided I'd visit the British Library, since it seemed cool and was near the train station. But there were a couple of hurdles I had to jump over first....

First, I wanted to store my bags in a luggage storage place so I could be free to explore the library. I found a service online that runs via an app where they have local businesses do the luggage storing -- kind of like an AirBNB for suitcases. I made a reservation for my bags, but when I got to the storage place, I couldn't connect to the internet, so I couldn't check in via app -- and that was the only way to check in. So I walked back to the train station (where I could get wifi) and tried to cancel, but the app was like "no canceling!" But I WAS able to change the reservation from 2 bags to 1, and then, strangely, I was able to hit "check in" and then immediately hit "check out." The app noted that my bag had been stored for 0 minutes -- and it charged me 0 dollars. Okay then!

I then went to the luggage storage place at the train station, which I probably should've just gone to in the first place, except that it was slightly more expensive. I stored one bag and just decided to carry the other one around.

I had another mission to accomplish before I could visit the library: I needed to find a place to mail some postcards. I had written them, addressed them, even stamped them, but there was not a mailbox to be found anywhere! Google kept suggesting places, but every time I got to them, I'd find out they were closed or nonexistent. Finally, I walked to the library, went to the info. desk, and asked the librarians for help -- because I figured if they didn't know where a postal box could be found, no one would. They did some Internet sleuthing and came back with an answer, bless them....

So -- in case you're ever in the vicinity of Kings Cross, St. Pancras Station, etc., and you need a postal box, there is apparently ONLY ONE, and it's not at either of those places (because that would make too much sense.) It is at Euston Station down the block.

By the time I got that all sorted, I needed a break. I sat down and had a snack. Then I made my way to the British Library. I knew I wouldn't have as much time to explore it as I'd hoped, but oh well. I paid 10 pounds and went to a basement exhibit on the use of gold in antique documents and artifacts.

Yay shiny things.

Then I headed back to St. Pancras, where I was (at first) too early to get in line for my train. I retrieved my bag from the storage place and sat down for a bit. Once I did get in line, it took OVER AN HOUR to make my way though it. WHY did I think taking a train from London to Paris was something I wanted to do? Oh yeah, because I wanted to go through the Chunnel.

Which I did.

And it was completely underwhelming. Which is to say I didn't even realize we'd even gone through it until... we were in France.

Hello, France...

Finally... Paris! I made my way to our hotel. H. was there waiting for me. We were staying at the Absolute Hotel Paris Republique, which had checked the boxes of things we wanted out of a hotel -- single beds, private bathroom, good location, and decent price. It turned out to be a good choice except for the fact that, because it was so warm while we were there, we had to sleep with the window open... and the noise down below was ridiculously loud. 

Picture that song from the beginning of Beauty and the Beast where everyone's calling "bonjour!" and the baker's yelling about baguettes to his wife and people are bargaining over the price of eggs. 

Now imagine that all happening at 2am. And 4am. And constantly.

On the plus side, the rooms were all themed. We got the Anarchist Barbie room...





Things I learned today: 

*Don't wait until the last day you're in a country to try to mail postcards.

*Just use the nearest luggage storage place... even if it costs a bit more.

*As impressive an engineering feat as the building of the Chunnel may have been, when you go through it... it just feels like a regular tunnel.

Things I considered doing in London, but didn't get to. Maybe next time....

*Museum of the Home

*Poplar

*Thames boat tour

*London Zoo

*Victoria Park

*Victoria & Albert Museum

No comments: