Sunday, August 21, 2022

My 2022 Global Adventure: Day 4 & 5 (London! Bath! Gigantic clocks!)

Day 4

 Friday, July 29: I left my hotel just before 9am and made way to Paddington Station, where I caught the 10:02 train to Bath. The trip took about an hour and a half.

When I first arrived in Bath, the town felt very touristy and crowded. But the farther I walked, the nicer it felt.

I passed the Jane Austen Centre and I booked a ticket online for 12:30. 

You spend about an hour there. First you watch a video. Then a cosplayer/guide gives a bio of Jane's life. After that, you walk through a series of exhibits, watch another video, look at some artifacts, costumes, etc., and exit through the gift shop. 

It was a very minimalist museum and I don't know if I'd recommend it except to die-hard J.A. fans. Even though there were timed tickets, there wasn't much room to move around the exhibits without bumping into someone. But props to the Edward Ferrars cosplayer who led our tour -- he was adorable.

After leaving the J.A. Centre I walked up to the Royal Crescent, then through Royal Victoria Park (epic playground!), then to a cemetery, and finally back to the train station.



Things I learned today: Don't forget your sunglasses!


Day 5

The next day, Saturday, was my last full day in London. I decided to visit Kensington Gardens. I rented a bike from a Santander Cycles kiosk and rode all around Kensington Gardens and also Hyde Park, next door. There are some paths where bikes aren't allowed, but I was able to walk my bike through those. I saw the Peter Pan statue and zillion dogs and birds.


After about two hours of riding I returned my bike. Then I took a bus into central London and walked by Buckingham Palace and Big Ben. I then walked over to the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge. 





By 4pm I was pretty tired, so I went back to the hotel. 

Things I learned today: 

*Cobblestone streets: quaint in theory, unpleasant in practice.

Tomorrow: Paris!

No comments: