Sunday, July 26, 2020

The Corona Chronicles: Chapter 10




So I haven't updated these chronicles in a long while. The last month and a half has been pretty mundane for me. But that's fine.

I've been doing a lot of digging. I wish I could say I was doing digging metaphorically, searching for answers and clues to the meaning of life. I mean, maybe I am doing that, subconsciously, but what I'm literally doing is digging in the dirt in my backyard. I'll dig down 2-16 inches, loosen the soil, take out the rocks, and then replace the dirt. There are a lot of rocks. I once read that this whole area used to be a riverbed. A mile away is a neighborhood that's actually called Rockwood. Our neighborhood is called Hazelwood. Yes, we have a hazel tree, but... we also have 7,239,128 rocks.

I've found some interesting things in the dirt. 

So far:

4 pennies
49 rusty nails
35 shards of glass
3 bottle caps
1 die-cast toy car
1 antique lead weight... or something
A 40-year-old candy wrapper
An inordinate number of peanut shells
2 giant worms

I might make a found objects collage when all is said and done. Minus the worms.

While digging, I usually listen to audio books. I've been listening to the books in the autobiographical Call The Midwife series, by Jennifer Worth. Before that, it was The Hobbit. I also listen to various podcasts.

Two days a week I tutor a kid online, so I spend quite a bit of time prepping those lessons.

I've been playing Disneyland Adventures on Steam, and just yesterday I downloaded The Sims 4. Oh, the possibilities...?

Over the past few weeks, I put together the largest LEGO set I've ever single-handedly assembled, and made a few videos about it. Check out my vlog, if you like.

I try to take a walk at least once a day, and I try to ride my bike once a week. While on walks, I look for neighborhood cats, and while on bike rides, I just try not to die.

I've been following the #BlackLivesMatter protests /slash/ #DefundThePolice rallies happening in downtown Portland. If you are interested in what is going on, I encourage you to follow the following Twitter accounts: Sergio OlmosTuck Woodstock, and Alex Zielinski, and on Facebook: Sol Luna. Long story short: Citizens want justice; police and feds want to shoot at people.

The days of summer are speeding by, and eventually schools will (probably) start up again. The plan in our district is to go back essentially 4 days a week, beginning in September, with kids rotating in/out and doing some distance learning, and all this other stuff. However, things keep changing, so it seems ridiculous for me to seriously plan for anything. I feel like it's better just to wait till September and see what they want me to do, then do it. So I'm trying to stay calm with the whole "not knowing" thing. It's hard, but also... for the best? IDK.


No comments: