Saturday, September 28, 2019

Another Alaskan Adventure! ... Day 6

Another Alaskan Adventure!
Day 6
Wednesday, August 21


Today the ship docked in Juneau. I slept in until about 10:30. Got breakfast at the buffet. Then I went swimming -- for about 5 minutes. The pool was heated, but that hardly mattered -- I was freezing. I spent an additional 5 minutes in one of hot tubs. Back in my stateroom, as I hung all my wet garments in the shower to dry, I decided I wouldn't try that again.

At some point that morning or the night before, I had determined I really didn't want to try to go all the way out to Mendenhall Glacier. (I saw the glacier itself on my last cruise). I would just stick to downtown. So around noon I left the ship and began to wander....


I bought some souvenirs for people back home. I used the wifi and bought a book at a cool store called Rainy Retreat Books...


 Oh, and I finally found a place that carried dental floss! 


I walked to the waterfront and checked out the whale statue at Overstreet Park.






I visited an antique/gift shop that had a cute little dog that would run to the door whenever someone came in/jangled the bell. After sniffing the newcomer, the dog would return to its bed and fall asleep. Enter new customer... and repeat!





I encountered a bear-proof trash can that almost proved to be Molly-proof as well...


Mostly I just walked around and took a lot of photos...















I returned to the ship with plenty of time to spare. I read a book out on the promenade deck and watched half a dozen seaplanes take off.


At 5pm, I went to the Bernini Dining Room for dinner. I'd checked the menu beforehand and the options sounded great! I got a nice little table to myself...



The bread was delicious.



I ordered the Chilled Yogurt Apple Soup...


I also got the Rollatine Ripiene Con Zucca, Mascarpone e Noci, which was so, so good. Pumpkin, walnut, and a crepe filled with mascarpone and covered with a thyme/cream sauce. I know it looks like a giant egg, but it was, in fact, a crepe.



For desert, I got Chocolate Journeys, described as "a chocolate pistachio dome with almond and pistachio nougatine." 

After dinner, I changed into warm clothes and went out to one of the highest decks to take pictures. The ship had departed Juneau and was on the move...










 One of my goals on this cruise was to go to at least one show in the theater. Tonight's show was called LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU! It sounded fun...


I bought a cocoa and found a seat toward the back of the theater.



The show, which was a music tribute, was underwhelming. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very compelling.



At least I'd seen a show, now, though... so I could cross that off my to-do list.

In the atrium, there was a map of our journey along with notes. One of the notes mentioned that we might see whales on this night around 8pm. So as soon as the show ended, I bundled up and went outside to scout for ocean mammals. I stuck with the starboard side and stayed out for at least an hour, even though it was super cold. 

Beginning about 8:30, the whales began to show themselves. I saw a bunch! The sunset in the background was a nice bonus!















Eventually it got dark, and the whales appeared less frequently. Finally, I went inside.

At 9:15 I stopped by one of the lounges to watch teams play "Password." Then I went up to the buffet for some snacks, including cherry compote. 


At 10:15 I went to the Vista Lounge for the showing of Avengers: Endgame. It was my first time seeing it. Even though watching it kept me up past 1 am, and even though I noticed a few plot holes, I generally enjoyed the movie.


I fell asleep to a rocking ship, thinking of my upcoming adventures tomorrow in Ketchikan...


Up Next:

Day 7: Ketchikan

Coming Soon...



No comments: