Monday, October 7, 2013

BrickCon 2013!

BrickCon 2013, Seattle's #1 Lego convention, took place October 3-6, and I was thrilled to once again be a part of it. Hundreds of MOCs (My Own Creations) showed up for display, and they ranged from cute to crazy to downright incredible. 

Here are some of my favorites:


How cute is this frog? I love the eyes, the legs, and the multiple shades of green & gray. 


This "monster house" doll house is full of fun, spooky details. Each room has something sinister going on.


These buildings have gorgeous exteriors on their own, but as a group - wow! Plus, trains! Great techniques to appreciate and fun details to enjoy.


The theme of this year's convention was "Pigs Vs. Cows." I thought the use of a Duplo pig and cow in this MOC was pretty clever. Wait a second -- how are they floating?


I love these sculptures, but especially the creamsicle. Yum!


Check out that bead toy! It's only a few inches wide. The faucet, which I have seen featured on a Lego blog previously, is also really realistic-looking. Thirsty, anyone?


A Lego ship in a Lego-brick bottle would've been... eh, interesting. But that's an actual bottle. Meaning someone built that Lego ship IN THE BOTTLE. Granted, it's not the most complicated ship ever, but that still had to take a bit of coordination... coordination which I can only ever hope to have.


Here is another set of gorgeous, detailed building facades, this time with a pirate theme. Most excellent.


I love me some dioramas, and this once is very sweet! I think that's the fanciest library I've ever seen.


Why pick just one? Heck, I love all of these. Microscale is one of my favorite categories. Good things do indeed come in small packages... or, in this case, on small baseplates.


THIS. Okay, just looking at it, it's like... okay... what... it's colorful, it's big, it's got Batman, so what?


So what is that it's animated! In about a dozen portions of the build, there are scenes with moving parts. Batman fighting bad guys. A carnivorous plant opening its jaws. That big white clown face's eyes and mouth moving. And on and on on. Plus the tile-work and the details are fascinating. AND it tells a story (actually... many stories.) No wonder it won Best In Show!


MOCs don't have to be huge to catch my eye. This little vignette of a group of trick-or-treaters made me smile. If a kid came to my door in a chicken suit, he or she would definitely get an extra candy bar or two.

Speaking of tiny MOCs, here are the two that I brought to the convention:



Yeah, just the two!  I decided to ride to Seattle & back on Amtrak this year, so I had to pack (and therefore build) light/small. 

Mr. McD is probably going to come to Bricks Cascade in March, then will become a part of my DuckTales collection. The Nativity Scene will be on display at my house during the Christmas season -- that is, as long as baby Jesus can stay in his manger (he likes to roll out.) :)


No comments: