Thursday, March 28, 2019

A 1940s Autograph Album



In 2017, I posted the contents of two autograph albums -- one from the 1890s, belonging to a girl named Millie; the other, from the 1880s, the former possession of my great-great-grandfather, Frank.



Recently, I came across another...



This album belonged to a girl named Carol Taylor. She may have attended Gaenslen School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In 1945, she was admitted to a hospital -- it's a bit unclear which one... some signatures refer to it as St. Mary's Hospital in Green Bay, others St. Mary's in Milwaukee, still others reference Milwaukee Children's Hospital. Maybe she was at more than one?! At any rate, she seems to have been hospitalized for at least a week, and had a teacher/tutor during that time. There are nurses' signatures in her book that are dated April and May of 1945.

After leaving the hospital, Carol seems to have forgotten about her autograph book for 2 years, as the next set of dated signatures are from June, 1947.

Over all the pages, Carol was called "cute," "Butterball," a "dope", "cracked," and a "drip."

She had pals named Joan, Shirley, Donna, Kathleen, "Sudzie," Florence and Marlene.

Some signers wrote in rhyme. Some used phonetic acronyms (ie Sudzie's "AINVUUQT.") Some made dumb jokes. Others left their contact information.

Below are pictures of most of the entries from this autograph album. The ones that were faded and hard to read, I've typed out.




* * *

Dear Carol - 

Have a grand vacation.

Sincerely, Ann Geise

* * *




^^  April 25, 45 ^^

Remember the girl in the city
Remember the girl in the town
Remember the girl who spoiled your book,
By writing upside down.

Remember me till table legs roll their stockings.

Miss Seibenaler
St. Mary's Hospital
Milwaukie






* * *

Dear Carol,

I shall always remember the nice little girl in 307 with the blond pigtails. I hope that you will have fun when you go home, and when you go fishing think of me.

Yours, 
Miss Ruth Landshron

* * *






* * *

When you get married and your husband gets cross 
Take the rolling pin and say I'm boss.

Your Pal Kathleen

* * *





* * *

May 3, 1945

Dear Carol,

Don't forget all the many giggles we had -- Hope you'll always remember the days you spent at Children's Hospital. We'll all miss you.

Miss Mary Walsh

* * *








* * *

Dear Carol,

My very best wishes for your future success! I'll see you on the "10" streetcar some Saturday.

Mrs. Eileen Wiegert

* * *




* * *

Carol Taylor --

Cutest little niece
I ever saw!
Best of luck
Barbara Jacobs

* * *

And so it ends. I've tried Googling Carol Taylor of Wisconsin, and I've found a few possible matches, but none seem to be the one. Granted, I'm taking on a lot on assumptions. For instance, I don't know how old Carol was in 1945... she's referred to as a "little girl" with pigtails, which makes me think she was younger than 14. Her friends and peers write in cursive, and while they're not terribly eloquent, I'm guessing they're at least 8, but probably more in the 10-11 range.

I did find a Carol Taylor Thwaites, whose 2016 obituary seemed to have all the key details... born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1936... spent her later years in Tillamook, Oregon (explaining how her autograph album came to be in an Oregon antique shop), and it even mentions that she had a hospital stay at age 12! Buuuut age 12, for her, would have been in 1948. So either they got the year wrong, or this isn't the right person.

Carol Taylor, wherever you are, I hope the past 70-odd years have been good to you. Thanks for not throwing away your album!

No comments: