Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Corona Chronicles: Chapter 5



So here we are.

4/14

I had to go to the grocery store today. I wore a mask and gloves and did all that, and I am telling you, it was an incredible experience. The store was way less crowded than usual, and nearly everyone was good about maintaining their distance. Getting around the store was like trying to play a video game -- maneuvering around obstacles, waiting for the koopas to pass before making a tight turn into aisle six, avoiding areas with people in them. Though, to be honest, I usually do those things anyway... this time, though, it felt like a game? Guys, it's been a really long time since I've gotten out.

Well, I still go on walks almost daily. And yesterday I was able to make a very special trip to the Oregon Humane Society, where I was able to adopt this very purry senior fellow...



He's a little skittish, but mostly mellow. And he sleeps 80% of the time. He's good about using his litter box, and he has the loveliest purr. His name is Marleaux, and he is a good boy.


4/15

Why did nobody tell me that the tax deadline got postponed to July? I was not informed of this. Nope, I filed my taxes like a good girl, and now you tell me I could have procrastinated? I feel cheated somehow.


4/19

Things I miss...

Going out to eat
Going to IKEA
Going to GoodWill

...

Apparently, not much.


4/21



First trip to Costco in six weeks. There was a line to get in, and the line followed this bizarre course they'd created using wooden pallets, snakes of shopping carts, and other obstacles. The interiors were less crowded than usual. Managed to get toilet paper, of which there was plenty. I've been to Fred Meyer 3-4 times since all this began, and they've always been completely out. Go Costco. (I also managed to fill a prescription here of a med that was -- you guessed it -- completely OUT at FM.)


4/22

Before the pandemic, I tutored a 5th grader once a week. Now we're going to try doing it over Zoom. We had our first session today. It went okay, but was kind of exhausting? His assignment for next time: Choose ONE Zoom background, and stick with it. Watching a kid fly from the moon to the Golden Gate Bridge to the Mohave dessert and back, over and over, is a bit much.

Later...

I saw this article, and related: https://www.bustle.com/p/feeling-calm-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic-is-a-valid-reaction-experts-say-22810728

Some days I'm a little kooky, but other days I'm totally fine! Am I repressing my anxiety? Nah, I don't think so. Two points stood out:

"You may also be finding some aspects of isolation soothing, especially if you're introverted by nature."

Yep. Check.

And...

"Previous experience with trauma can also make people more chill."

Hello, I've been through so much worse. 

Although earlier I had some chest pains and immediately became convinced that I had an undiagnosed case of the Corona Virus, which had resulted in a collapsed lung, and that my doom was imminent... but two hours later, I'm fine now? So I guess I'll live to see tomorrow.

No comments: