Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Another Alaskan Adventure! ... Day 5

Another Alaskan Adventure!
Day 5
Tuesday, August 20


This morning I woke to the lovely sound of the ship docking and the ensuing announcements. After a light breakfast, I left the ship and walked into Skagway. I considered taking the shuttle bus, but that didn't happen. It's a nice walk, though!



There were three other ships in port with us that day -- another Princess ship, and ones from Holland America and Celebrity.


Near the pier it was cold and windy, but the air warmed up as I got into town.




I went looking for one of the free wifi places I'd researched. Knowing Skagway was so small, I thought just knowing the names of the locations would be enough, but I was wrong. I only ever found the library -- and, as it didn't open till 10 (and I found it around 9:30), I had to wait to go in. In the meantime I went to a cafe and got an Italian Soda.



Back at the library, I got online for the first time in three days. There were about a dozen other people using the wifi too. One man began to play a video with sound. I was surprised and pleased when a librarian came over and shushed him.







Seeing the train and the Sockeye Cycle Company building brought back memories of the excursion I took the last time I was in Skagway.




Eek, a ghost!

On my walk back to the ship, I stopped at a "general store." It carried toothbrushes and razors and other things, but they did not have floss or Neosporin. WTH, Alaska? But I did get a big bottle of sparkling water and a cookie to take back on the ship.

Back on board, I had lunch at the buffet: a delicious sandwich and some coleslaw. There was also a walnut tart, which was not as good as the mushroom tarts I'd had the day before. (Those were divine.) For dessert I had a lemon cookie (good) and a brownie (meh.)


After lunch, I began getting ready for my excursion. I dressed in layers, stuffing my essentials into the pockets of my rain jacket... things like sunglasses, sunscreen, a mosquito-repellent bracelet, tissues, and my travel camera.

I was totally ready to go, everything in hand, when I suddenly thought to myself, I don't remember if I put on deodorant today! So I did that, and then I realized I was no longer holding my shore excursion ticket. I'D JUST HAD IT IN MY HAND! 2-3 minutes of sheer panic later, I found it on the closet shelf. With only minutes to spare, now, I hightailed it to my excursion meeting point.

The excursion I'd selected for this port was called Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. The thing that caught my interest in the excursion's description was that not only would we get to go right up to a glacier, we might even be able to touch it, weather permitting. I wanted to touch a glacier!

This excursion met at the end of the pier. One of the guides introduced himself as Zack, and divided us into two groups. I was shuffled into Zack's group. At first he seemed to be channeling Bill & Ted (he said he gets this comparison a lot) and I was a little worried he might be annoying, but he turned out to be a great guide. 


We walked to a dock and boarded a boat called the Encounter. This boat had a roof and windows and the seats wrapped around the perimeter of the inside of the boat. So everyone was facing each other, and it made seeing things out the windows a bit awkward. We were given a safety briefing, and we were told that after the boat got underway, we could sit "outside" on the deck on the back of the boat, but only if we had a buddy. Well, I didn't have one, so suffice it to say, I stayed inside.

Zack and the other guide, a young woman whose name I'm pretty sure was Emily, took turns piloting the boat and talking to the group, giving us info. about the surrounding area, things we were seeing, and even tidbits about their lives in Alaska. 



At one point, our boat hit the wake of another ship that had recently passed, and we bounced up and down at least a dozen times. Ooof, I didn't like that. Luckily, I'd taken my Bonine that morning, so I was okay.



The boat ride lasted an hour and a half. At one point the pilot spotted harbor seals lounging over yonder, and steered the boat closer so we could get a good look.






At the end of the ride, we landed on a beach...


... where there was lunch waiting for us. Many of us were surprised, because the excursion's description had made it seem like the meal would come later, so most of us weren't even hungry. Lunch was a pre-made turkey sandwich, applesauce, trail mix, and water. I wasn't too impressed with the food, but I absolutely loved the accompanying views!









One of the guides told us if we needed to use the bathroom, we could do it "behind those trees," which I honestly thought meant we were going to have to get really rustic. But eventually I got curious enough to go take a look, and... yeah, there was an actual outhouse back there. Still semi-rustic, sure, but not exactly what I'd been picturing.


A short while later we got on a bus for a 3-mile drive. We got out at a covered area. Here, we got fitted for life jackets and rain boots. I wasn't expecting to have to wear rain boots, but they turned out to be useful.



After being divided into 5 groups for the 5 canoes, we all hiked for about six or seven minutes, down a trail toward the water....



At the shore, one of the guides gave us a talk about getting into and out of the canoes and about being cautious about personal belongings, lest they become permanent victims of the bottomless depths.




We all got into the canoe and began to paddle. I had been assigned a canoe with two couples and three kids. We were about 1/3 of the way across the lake when -- tragedy. 

A certain passenger (who isn't me) probably wishes he'd been a little more cautious with his personal belongings. And I imagine that when he got back to Skagway, he used his wife's cell phone to google "Where's the nearest Apple store?" Because yeah. THAT happened.


We only actually got to use our oars until about the halfway point. Then our guide turned on the boat's motor and we cruised the rest of the way. 

We reached a rocky beach and got out of the canoe. Then we had to wait for the other canoes in our party to arrive. 


When everyone was present, we began hiking across this beach, toward the Davidson Glacier. It was not the most comfortable terrain -- especially since I was wearing boots with no padding -- but it was worth it, because we got to get so close to the glacier. 











We weren't able to touch the glacier's face today -- there was a rushing stream of water in front of it -- but several chunks of ice had fallen off, and we were able to touch those. 











It was a beautiful place.

Before long, it was time to head back. That meant trekking across the rocky beach again...


...going across the lake in the canoe (this time, we hardly got to paddle at all... but am I really complaining?)...



...back to the covered area, onto the bus again, back to the picnic area...


....and then, finally, back into our original boat with Zack and Emily. I chose a different seat this time, facing forward.


On our return trip, we got to get close to a waterfall...



They even turned the boat around and let people stand on the front and back decks and take photos.

Soon we were approaching the pier in Skagway once again.



We all thanked Zack and Emily for a great tour.


Overall impression of this excursion? The sights were beautiful, especially the glacier. I loved getting to touch the ice and see a lot of cool rocks. The guides told interesting stories. However, the excursion was long, and it had many steps. I would not recommend it to anyone with mobility issues... they would not want to walk across those rocks.



I ate a big dinner this evening.



After eating all of the above, I went and got a veggie burger with fries. Once again, it was delicious. But wow. A bit much, girl.

Around 9:15 I went to an event called "The Voice Of The Ocean." This was the second of a two-night audition event, but I'd missed it the night before. Nine passengers got up and performed karaoke-style. We were all given slips of paper and were supposed to write down the number of our favorite singer.



There was quite a range of talent. In the end, seven singers from the past two nights (including the one I voted for!) were selected to continue on. In a few nights' time, they would get to perform with a live band in the ship's theater!


Tomorrow, we'd be docking in Juneau. I didn't have an excursions booked, but I had considered perhaps taking a bus out to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor's Center. Or maybe I'd try out the Mt. Roberts Tramway?

What would I ultimately end up doing in Juneau? Find out next time!


Up Next:

Day 6: Juneau


Coming Soon....


No comments: