Saturday, March 22, 2014

Oregon Zoo In Winter

(Previous posts in series: Oregon Zoo In FallOregon Zoo In Late FallOregon Zoo In Lights)

So I didn't intend to wait until Spring in order to post my Winter Zoo pictures, but here we are and here they are. These photos were taken in December 2013 and January 2014. 

What's "new" at the zoo? The lion cubs are coming out to play more often and the black bears have... well... I'm not sure where they've gone, but I've been to the zoo four or five times since November and the bears haven't been out once. I miss those bears.

Construction (or "improvements," as I have heard it called) has been ongoing.





They've been working on a brand new exhibit for California Condors, and making the elephant exhibit bigger (which is good, because before, there were like 7 elephants crowded into a tiny space.)

Here are some pictures of the elephants in their old exhibit:









Below, a Leopard wishes he had a bigger exhibit. 


Moving on to Africa (hey, I can skip around!) -- Daddy Lion enjoys some time away from the cubs.




Meanwhile I've taken a particular interest in the Mountain Lions (aka Cougars). It seems that every time I visit them, they're doing something different (unlike the tigers, who always just seem to be sleeping or sitting there looking annoyed.) (ETA: Okay, turns out the tigers were actually really old. One of them died a few months after this photo was taken and the other is at the tail end of his lifespan. Okay, so... nevermind about the tigers. Love & gumdrops to the tigers.)

Here, the Mountain Lions are sleeping. (D'aw.)


Here, one is chillin', and the other wants to know what's going on.



I've also seen them hide in the brush, spring at each other, climb trees, and stalk toddler zoo visitors. They're fun to watch, if you're willing to stand there and give them a chance to be interesting. Sadly, so many zoo visitors just glance at them and move on. (Maybe the tigers are interesting, too, but I keep missing the action? Hmmm, something to consider.)

During Zoo Lights, we were able to stay late, and so we got to see the bats being active. See? This one's eating!


And this one is too. I think.


River Otters prefer daytime activity.



Have you ever watched River Otters play? They are absolutely adorable. In late 2013 one of the Otters gave birth to a pup, who I've only seen sleeping. Here, two male Otters scamper and swim.



Aren't the Cheetahs beautiful? I think they are.


They think you look delicious!


Meow?


 Stay tuned! In my next post, I visit the Oregon Zoo on the most romantic day of the year, Valentine's Day! Find out if the zoo's animals tend to be more frisky when presented with red window paint and pink cardboard boxes!

No comments: