Saturday, March 7, 2015

Movies I'm Excited About - 2015 Edition

Confession: I don't go to "the movies" that much anymore. I'm content to wait a few months after something's been released and let Netflix ship the movie directly to me. Maybe I'm just lazy, or maybe the way I do things is awesome. Either way, there are a few films coming out in the next couple years that I'm more or less excited about and may actually go see in the theater. These are them....

Release: Summer Fall, 2015
Peter Pan adaptationish thing starring Hugh Jackman, (not to be confused with Peter Pan Live! with Christopher Walken.)

The storyline -- and I've only seen the trailer and I don't want to be spoiled too much, so this is vague at best -- revolves around a young Peter and a young Hook but also some other pirate and, I dunno, I guess they're twisting Peter's origin story a bit. Also Tiger Lily is white, so I'm not sure what that's about.

Side note: It's funny how many Peter Pan-esque things we've been bombarded with since the novel went into the public domain awhile back.... Peter and the Starcatcher(s)Jake & The Neverland Pirates, the story arcs on TV's Once Upon A Time, and all those Tinker Bell movies, to name a few. But hey, I really liked the 2003 film (Peter Pan) so I'm interested to see what surprises 2015's Pan will hold.


Beauty And The Beast
Release: 2016? 2017
I love Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast. I've seen it roughly 1500 times. I love the Broadway musical. I've seen that (a more reasonable) four times. Now they're making a live-action version! With Emma Watson confirmed as Belle and Dan Stevens as the Beast, I'm thrilled with the casting choices. Meanwhile, there's a thread on the film's imdb page titled: "Colin Firth As Belle's Father." Wouldn't that be cool? Heck, give Colin Firth any role in the film and I will be die of happiness. I repeat, die. Colin Farrell, on the other hand.... #no


Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
Release: 2016
A new movie set in the Harry Potter universe? I don't even care what fantastic beasts it includes*, I'm there.

*Okay, there had better be owls....


The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Silver Chair
Release: 2017? Ever?
This was announced in 2013, and there has been no word on casting or anything since, so I won't hold my breath, but I'd love to see another Narnia movie come to the big screen. Such a shame that they only made the three films when there are seven books in the series. Come on, guys!


Pride & Prejudice & Zombies
Release: 2015 February, 2016
I don't know. Maybe I'll hate it. The jury's still out on the actor playing Darcy -- he looks like the lovechild of Leonardo DiCaprio (in The Man In The Iron Mask) and Dr. Will from Big Brother, with a pinch of Dominic Cooper thrown in. Bingley's a touch better-looking, but he also kind of looks like Keira Knightley (oh hello, it's Pip from Great Expectations! Oh this is gonna be good. Or terrible. Train wreck? I'm so there.)


The Walk
Release: October, 2015
The story of that French guy who tightrope-walked between the twin towers back in the day.
It's directed by Robert Zemeckis and it's not suspended anicapture or whateverthefudge that freaky animation thing is that he does these days, so I will buy a movie ticket to support that.


Community: The Movie
Release: ???
Well, we're honest-to-goodness getting that sixth season -- now we just need "a movie"! Kickstarter, anyone? TAKE MY MONEY.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Meanwhile...

Movies I am NOT excited about...

Maggie (2015)
Description: A teenage girl in the Midwest becomes infected by an outbreak of a disease that slowly turns the infected into cannibalistic zombies. During her transformation, her loving father stays by her side. Starring Abigail Breslin and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

VANish (2015)
Description: A kidnapped young woman is forced on a road trip full of murder and mayhem that takes place entirely in her captor's getaway van. 

Hansel Vs. Gretel (2015)
Description: When Gretel falls under a dark spell and organizes a coven of witches, Hansel must find the courage to fight his twin sister and the sinister forces controlling her.

London Fields (2015)
Description: Clairvoyant femme fatale Nicola Six has been living with a dark premonition of her impending death by murder. She begins a tangled love affair with three uniquely different men: one of whom she knows will be her murderer. Starring Theo James, Amber Heard, and Johnny Depp.

31 (2015)
Description: Five people are kidnapped on the days leading up to Halloween and held hostage in a place called Murder World. While trapped, they must play a violent game called 31 where the mission is to survive 12 hours against a gang of evil clowns.


Yikes.

No comments: