Monday, January 26, 2015

Lego Projects: "The Art Of Creativity" (2014-2015)

I have a display at the Tigard, Oregon, Lego Store this month (January, 2015). If you get a chance to stop by the store in the next week or so, check it out! If you're nowhere near Oregon, well, here's a picture!


This is a actually picture of the display before I had to move it to a different display case, one with a green background, during which I decided to flip over the snowflake (it's white on the other side. Surprise.)

The snowflake is actually how it all started. My young cousin gave me a small Pick-a-Brick cup as a gift last spring, and it contained a bunch of white flowers and trans-blue 1x2 tiles. Playing around with these pieces, I quickly realized I could hook the flowers together with the blue tiles, and before I knew it, I had a snowflake, which is actually quite sturdy and could theoretically be hung vertically with fishing line... if the need should arise.

Once I had the snowflake, I decided to build some Lego scissors to go with it. I have seen other builders make Lego scissors, but I didn't follow their patterns... I pretty much just took a pair of real scissors and tried to copy them. One question I get asked a lot is "Do they work?" They don't really cut, but they do bend!

After the scissors came the glue bottle and the crayon box. For both I used the real objects and modeled my builds off of them. It was fun trying to think of an art supply and then trying to create it out of Lego. One challenge I had was with the paint brush (which you can see better in one of the photos below.) I tried many different methods and piece combos, but finally ended up folding up a black Lego net, then using black Lego string to tie that around the brown handle. (Lego = versatile, my friends.)

After I had made all these supplies, I thought it would be interesting to have them set up around some "paintings." I had acquired five 16x16 white plates, which seemed like they'd be a perfect Lego "canvas." 

I had a few false starts, but on my third or fourth attempt I came up with Brown Bear Goes For A Stroll:


Which earned an Honorable Mention at Bricks By The Bay!

From the side, it looks sort of weird...


But from the front... hey, a bear!

And even though it doesn't have quite the same 3D effect, I like the way the tiger turned out, with its eclectic mix of Lego pieces both old & new.


I'm not sure if I'll bring this display to Bricks Cascade (March 14 & 15, 2015, in Portland, OR!) but I'll definitely be bringing other projects, so I hope you can make it if you're in the area!

No comments: