Sunday, January 29, 2012

More Baby Naming With Kixia!

 

Hello, my lovelies! I have returned, as always with the noble goal of helping parents, parents-to-be, and people who really want to have a baby someday, to name their offspring. So throw those Baby Name books aside and stop trolling the forums of mybabysnameiscoolerthanyourbabys.com and take a look at the latest batch of letters and emails I've received. Perhaps they will inspire you in your choices. And remember, naming your baby is, without a doubt, the most important thing you will ever do. Give a child the perfect name, and she will pretty much raise herself.

Dear Kixia,
My husband Hector and I are having our 14th child, hoping someday to have our own reality show. Our children all have H-names; however, we semi-regret going with this letter because we are beginning to run out of options. Our thirteen current children are: Hector Jr., Hilary II, Haley, Hunter, Heidi, Henrietta, Harry, Hermione, Harvey, Holden, Hugh, Heaven, and Hannah.

We've looked at our other options, and they include such cringe-worthy names as Hortense, Homer, Heathcliff, and Hirschell. Can you give us some suggestions? Our dog (Hugo) ate the Baby Name book and we are at a loss.

Yours Truly,
Hilary
Springfield, IL


Hilary,
I would be happy to help! I am rather fond of the letter H, and hold it in quite high regard. I notice you've named two subsequent children "Harry" and "Hermione". A Harry Potter fan, perhaps? Then look no further than that series for your inspiration: "Hagrid" for a boy, or "Hedwig" for a girl! Oh yes, Hedwig! Let us celebrate literature's dearest bird! May her feathery legacy live on through your baby!


But be careful, my dear: Avoid "Hippogriff", "Helga Hufflepuff," "Half-Blood Prince," and "Hallows" (Deathly or otherwise). These names would not be pleasing in any sense, even if you do nurse a strong affection for one Mr. Severus Snape (as I do, but that is a subject for another time.)

-Kixia


Dear Kixia,

I'm due in three months and I want to give my baby girl a name that is not popular NOW, but will be popular in the NEAR FUTURE, so that when it becomes popular, people will think that I started the trend and be all, you know, impressed. Except how can I tell what names are going to be popular in a couple of years? I tried going to a fortune teller, but she suggested the name "Ingeborg," so now I'm back to square one. I thought, if anyone, YOU could help me! So HELP!

Desperate,
Suzann
Denver, CO


Suzann,
First off, congratulations! I LOVE the spelling of your name! It is unique and yet not impossible to pronounce! Second off, congratulations on your pregnancy, and guess what, sister, I CAN help you!

The trick is to look at the popular names lists from the United Kingdom. I recently took a trip to jolly old England, and I can say with some authority that they are very avant garde there (powdered wigs nonwithstanding.) Paris and Milan may be the trendsetters when it comes to fashion, but those Brits are well-known for their baby-naming prowess, and often set the stage for what names will be popular in the U.S. in years to come. 

So. First we must look at a list of the most popular girl names in the U.K. for the year 2011; then we must cross off any name that ALSO appears on the U.S. list for 2011 (only, alas, the U.S. is behind the U.K. in that aspect as well; the Social Security Administration's most recent list is from 2010. Sigh, I suppose it will have to do. Now where was I? Oh yes, crossing out names.)

1. Lily 2. Emily 3. Isabella 4.Sophia 5. Isabelle 6. Sophie 7. Olivia 8. Ava 9. Chloe 10. Isla 11. Amelia 12. Jessica 13. Grace 14. Evie 15. Charlotte 16. Ella 17. Mia 18. Lucy 19. Freya 20. Ruby 21. Holly 22. Ellie 23. Hannah 24. Emma 25. Abigail 26. Megan 27. Jasmine 28. Daisy 29. Matilda 30. Erin 31. Poppy 32. Imogen 33. Maisie 34. Layla 35. Phoebe 36. Eva 37. Molly 38. Maya 39. Scarlett 40. Annabelle 41. Alice 42. Sienna 43. Amelie 44. Lola 45. Caitlin 46. Amy 47. Madison 48. Katie 49. Zoe 50. Florence 51. Elisabeth 52. Amber 53. Summer 54. Rosie 55. Emilia 56. Rebecca 57. Leah 58. Evelyn 59. Millie 60. Esme 61. Eleanor 62. Willow 63. Georgia 64. Zara 65. Lacey 66. Anna 67. Rose 68. Lexie 69. Eliza 70. Lauren 71. Bella 72. Elsie 73. Eloise 74. Isobel 75. Sarah 76. Martha 77. Keira 78. Faith 79. Niamh 80. Gracie 81. Gabriella 82. Skye 83. Harriet 84. Kayla 85. Alyssa 86. Maria 87. Nicole 88. Nina 89. Paige 90. Kate 91. Orla 92. Bethany 93. Iris 94. Alexandra 95. Sofia 96. Lilly 97. Isabel 98. Hollie 99. Annabel 100. Laila

There are many names remaining, and so, let's look at some of our options. 

#19 - Freya - A beautiful name; however, to be avoided if you have the last name "Tuck."

#79 - Niamh - Aye, 'tis an Irish name! Very now. However, no one will ever pronounce it correctly (it's NEEV, can you believe it?)  So that is something to consider.

#62 - Willow - The world has not yet seen its fill of Willow "I Whip My Hair Back And Forth" Smith, and I see this name catching on in popularity in the years to come. 

#91 - Orla - Of course, there are exceptions to any rule. AVOID.

Best of luck,
Kixia


Dear Kixia,
My  husband and I are trying to decide on a name for our baby boy, due in February. We want a UNIQUE name because we really don't want him to be, like, one of 9 "Aidan"s in his Kindergarten class, you know what I mean? But every time I think of a name that I think nobody's ever thought of, and I google it, there's the name. Someone's thought of it. It is SO ANNOYING. Help me pick a unique name that no one's ever thought of!
-Joeleen
Seattle, WA


Joeleen,
Well, I'm afraid as soon as I suggest a name for you on here, hundreds of parents will latch onto it and use it, therefore defeating the purpose entirely. So while I will refrain from giving you an actual name, I will point you in the right direction. Hint: CELEBRITIES. Yes, celebrities are notorious for choosing unique (and some will call them "strange") names for their recently-born.  Take a look at some of the monikers that have made their debut in recent years:

Pirate, Zeppelin, Sunday, Satchel, Petal, Sparrow, Bronx, Camera, Denim, Banjo, Rocket, Audio Science, Thyme, and Moon Unit.

What do all these names have in common? They are nouns. Somewhat ordinary, everyday nouns that don't have a lot of meaning... UNTIL we bestow them upon our precious babies IN WHICH CASE they are suddenly amazing, as in: "Teapot is a fabulous name for a child! Why did I never think of it? I use a teapot every day! It sits on my stove! It seemed so ordinary. AND YET IT IS BRILLIANT!"

So go now, take a look around your home, and make a list of objects that you see, and surely you will be able to come up with a name that no one has ever thought of before. And, if in doubt, add in a couple of extra letters: (ie: "Lammpshayde") to make extra sure.

-Kixia


Dear Kixia,
My wife and I are at an impasse. Help us decide: Which is best: "y", "ey", "ie", "i", "ee" or "eigh"?
Gratefully,
Doug
Portland, OR


Doug,
No doubt about it -- "Eigh" is the far superior of the letter combinations. Some people say "less is more," but I do not agree when it comes to this issue, no indeed. Look at how beautiful "eigh" looks and dare to disagree!

Carleigh
Ameigh
Triniteigh
Brittneigh

"Eigh" is like a warm bubblebath. Those other letters can go away. Henceforth I shall be known as Keighxeigha! (But it will still be pronounced Kee-sha, mind you.)

Keshia Knight Pulliam, my idol

So there you have it.
-Kixia

3 comments:

Paddy O said...

I just want to make note that I suggested Freya as a name (seriously... I did), but it got shot down. As did most ethnically Irish and Scandinavian names.

Another note, at some point Amy suggested Voyager as a potential name, which is a noun. I, of course, thought of the first Star Trek movie, and thought Veeger would be a fun nickname. Then I suggested Rocketship as a middle name. Voyager Rocketship Oden has a certain je ne sais quoi to it, don't you think?

molly said...

Patrick, Voyager Rocketship is indeed a fine name; however, I find it lacking in the themes of "French" and "Bible". Those two things are essential when it comes to Baby O.

So... how do you feel about the name "Lumiere"?

Think about it.

Paddy O said...

Maybe Lumierelyn?